Saturday, October 31, 2009

New clue U3D support

I have another lead on figuring out the rotation extraction for U3D support :)

Hopefully this series of attempts will end soon - I've even went as far as to try brute forcing part of it -LOL- but I think I just need to get my head wrapped around it.

Friday, October 30, 2009

XZY extraction from matrix

Still working on this :) Having trouble getting U3D compatibility in though. Hopefully I'll get this figured out soon.
Also, I'm looking into giving joints a "breakable" attribute.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

2d buoyancy

Just saw a preview of buoyancy working in 2d. I like Newton Game Dynamics!

Monday, October 26, 2009

Precision buoyancy with user settings

I finally got relieved of my lack of knowledge and was able to finish implementing precise buoyancy with user settings. It worked before, but only with hard coded settings. Now there is the problem of tuning the buoyancy so objects eventually come to rest. I'm not sure exactly how to do this, but maybe I can make it more stable before release.

Monday, October 19, 2009

Ultimate 3D mode under way

Taking a break from calibrating the buoyancy, I am learning the basics of Ultimate 3d. I have been wanting to do this for a while, and now there are enough reasons that I can't put it off any longer :) I am going to do my best with my limited 3d math knowledge and a lot of google and experimenting to make a mode in GMNewton that returns rotations in the format Ultimate 3D uses. So far I have a cube and a ground plane being displayed, which is enough on the graphics end to figure this out.

Sunday, October 18, 2009

300 buoyant objects, 30 fps

That's right - I was watching while my 2.0 Ghz Core 2 duo laptop was simulating 300 buoyant boxes at 30 fps in GM. I was so excited to see that! I'm not completely done with the buoyancy and the buoyant objects take too long to come to rest as of now, but I'm taking a break from that and trying to implement a Ultimate3D compatibility mode. This will take all of the work converting the coordinate systems. I have never used Ultimate 3D, so I am going to have to learn how to use it to add this option. I've been wanting to learn anyway though :) Here's a list of things I need to do before release of GMNewton 2:

95% Buoyancy
10% U3D coordinate system support
90% Convex Hull tolerance feature. Currently always set to 0
0% Fix collision callbacks to detect all collisions
0% Create documentation and examples

Friday, October 16, 2009

Precision buoyancy

Now that I have bounding-box level buoyancy implemented, it won't take long at all to implement precise buoyancy. I am just waiting for an answer on the Newton forums regarding retrieval of userdata for trigger volumes so users can set custom fluid properties.


Finally sorted out my compiling issues(well, enough to work. There has to be a better way...), and I just saw GMNewton buoyancy for the first time. Can't wait to get this feature finished! It's so cool :)

Undefined reference

And now it won't link to the dMatrix class. I wish I was well versed enough in the ways of C++ to solve this! Time to take a break...

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Buoyancy: 85%

I think I have all the C++ code I need done. Now the compiler doesn't feel like outputting the dll after I reinstalled os. AAAAHHH! After I figure that out I'll make the GM scripts and get to test and see if it actually works as expected.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009


Buoyancy is 75% done. Now I just need to decide best way to interface it with GM. Through the material system (probably), or through a custom buoyancy interface?

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Computer up and running

Alright - I've got my laptop all up and running again! Now when I get a break from school I can move forward on GMNewton buoyancy support :D

Sunday, October 11, 2009


For all of you familiar with Windows, you probably recognize the Blue Screen of Death. Unfortunately that is what I am seeing every time I try and boot into Windows. I also happen to be developing GMNewton on Windows, and this is preventing me from doing that. I was almost done with my homework for the week and was looking forward to some programming time :(

Saturday, October 10, 2009

woot! Solved linker issue

I forgot to add a directory to the linker path and that resulted in buoyancy code creating issues. Now that is fixed and buoyancy will be easier for me to implement. I really should have been doing homework not GMN, but the little break was nice. Now I get to cram to get done on time :)

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Error: Unexpected schooling conflict

Okay... It was expected, but the fact remains. I have started college since the release of GMNewton 1.0, and have had very little time to work on updating it as of late. Hopefully my schedule will even out soon and I will be able to structure some programming time in my day. It's not forgotten though - GMNewton will live on despite the continued efforts of my homework to suffocate it ;)

Friday, October 2, 2009

Continuing on

Hinge-joint limits in place, along with function to add impulse to point on body. Coming up soon is buoyancy and U3D compatibility mode!